Wisconsin officials have sent a clear message to former wide receiver Quintez Cephus: We don’t want you back.
At least, that’s what Cephus’ lawyers said Monday, a week after the player filed a petition seeking readmission to the university.
Cephus plans to appeal the decision, according to what one of his lawyers, Stephen Meyer, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Meyer said “the gloves will come off” if university chancellor Becky Blank “doesn’t do what’s right.”
A Monday news conference to discuss the case was planned by Cephus and other Badgers currently on the football team. According to Meyer, players have written a letter to Blank showing their support for Cephus.
Cephus was suspended from the Badgers football team in August 2018 and later expelled from the university following allegations of second- and third-degree sexual assault. He was found not guilty on Aug. 2 in Madison, Wis.
The petition asked for a response by Aug. 8.
Cephus recently told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he is in “the best shape of my life” after training over the past year, and that he plans to play football again. Last week, he said returning to school was his top priority, but hadn’t decided if he would stay or go elsewhere.
Cephus, 21, appeared in 23 games for the Badgers over the 2016 and ’17 seasons, catching 34 passes for 595 yards and six touchdowns.