KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – No. 24 Tennessee hosts in-state foe Austin Peay to cap off a four-game homestand on Tuesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
The Vols have been dominant in non-conference games this season with a 22-2 record, including an 18-1 mark at home.
Tuesday’s game will be streamed live online via SEC Network+ and the WatchESPN app with Bob Kesling (PxP) and Rusty Ensor (Color) calling the action. John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara will also call all three games for the Vol Network (AM 990) as well as UTSports.com and the UT Gameday App.
Projected Starting Pitchers
Austin Peay: TBA
Series History vs. Austin Peay
Overall: Tennessee leads, 20-4
In Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 18-4
In Clarksville: Tennessee leads, 1-0
Neutral Sites: Tennessee leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: March 15, 2017 in Knoxville (W, 18-4)
Tennessee has dominated the all-time series against Austin Peay. The Vols have won the past three meetings against the Governors, outscoring them 29-11 in that span.
Need to Know
- Tennessee will look to rebound after going 1-2 last week, losing its home series against No. 24 Missouri. UT enters this week ranked No. 24 in the USA Today Coaches’ Poll and No. 10 in the RPI.
- The Vols erased a four-run deficit in the series opener to win 11-5 on Friday night. The four-run deficit was the largest overcome in a win this season for UT.
- Friday’s win over the Tigers was Tennessee’s seventh over a ranked opponent this season and was the 32nd victory this season, marking the most since 2007 when the Vols finished with 34 wins.
- The Big Orange are 11-1 in midweek games this season, outscoring their opponents 88-22 with three shutouts.
- UT is 5-3 in games against in-state opponents this season with wins against Middle Tennessee, ETSU, Vanderbilt, Belmont and Lipscomb. The Vols tied the program record with seven home runs in their last contest against an in-state opponent (Lipscomb on April 9).
- Tennessee has done major damage with two outs over the past six games, scoring 28 of its 36 runs with two outs in that span.
- Freshman Jake Rucker continued his impressive hitting in SEC play last weekend, recording two hits in all three games against Missouri. He led the team in batting average, hits, doubles, RBI, slugging percentage and on-base percentage for the series.
- The Greenbrier, Tenn., native had three doubles in the series after having just four the entire season entering the weekend. He was also the only Tennessee player to record at least two hits and drive in a run in every game this weekend.
- After this weekend’s performance, Rucker has a hit in six straight games with five of those contests being multi-hit performances and has quietly emerged as one of the Vols’ top hitters in SEC play, ranking second on the team with a .324 batting average in conference play. His .412 on-base percentage in league play also ranks second on the team while his 12 runs batted in rank fourth.
Austin Peay Governors (26-19, 16-8 OVC)
- 2018 Record: 30-27 (17-13 OVC)
- 2018 Postseason: N/A
- Austin Peay was picked to finish fourth in the Ohio Valley Conference Preseason Poll and currently sits atop the conference standings entering this week.
- The Governors are coached by Travis Janssen, who is in his fourth year with the program and has led the team to a 118-97 record as head coach.
- APSU is led by redshirt junior slugger Parker Phillips, who ranks fifth in the country with 19 home runs and also leads the OVC with 52 RBI.
- The duo of David Martinez and Garrett Spain rank first and second on the team in batting average and have combined for 10 homers and 76 RBI.
Upcoming promotions for all Tennessee athletics home events can be found on the UT Fan Experience page by clicking HERE.
ALL GAMES THIS SEASON
- Kids Combo: Corn dog, chips and a drink for just $6!
- Island Night: First 100 students receive an island-themed Tennessee baseball shirt.
- Trivia Tuesday (Sponsored by Moe’s): Play trivia throughout the game with a chance to win prizes.
- $2 Tuesday: All general admission tickets are only $2 and fans can purchase smoothies for just $2 through the fourth inning.
- Nurse Appreciation Day: Free admission for nurses with an ID at the gate.
- Teacher Appreciation Day: Free admission for faculty with ID at the gate.
- Ceremonial First Pitch: Dr. Jerry Punch
On Deck for the Vols
The Big Orange hit the road this weekend for another pivotal SEC series against the Florida Gators. First pitch for Friday’s series opener in set for 6:30 p.m.