KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The No. 9/8 Lady Vols head to ETSU for their final away midweek game of the season on Tuesday.
Tennessee takes on the Buccaneers starting at 6 p.m. EST and looks to extend its winning streak against in-state opponents to 97 games.
Entering the contest, the Orange and White are coming off a 3-0 weekend against Mississippi State. UT outscored the Bulldogs, 23-4, while freshman Ashley Rogers earned two wins, throwing a complete-game shutout on Friday and 5.0 scoreless innings of relief on Sunday. At the plate, Kaitlin Parsons paced the Lady Vols with a .571 average, four RBI and four runs scored.
Tennessee’s matchup vs. ETSU can be followed on UTSports.com via live radio stream by visiting the schedule page and clicking the “Listen” link next to the game. It will also be available on the UT Gameday App and AM 990.
Need to Know
- Tennessee’s .320 batting average ranks third in the SEC and 18th in the nation while the squad’s .982 fielding percentage is second and third, respectively.
- The Lady Vols have 15 wins over opponents who were ranked or received votes in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll and //ESPN.com/USA Softball Poll entering the midweek game.
- UT is outscoring opponents 258-82 through the three-fourths of the season. The Lady Vols have thrown 10 shutouts total and have run-ruled opponents 14 times.
- Freshman Kaitlin Parsons led Tennessee offensively last week, posting a .571 average (4-for-7) with four runs scored, her first-career triple and four RBI. She recorded a team-best .700 on-base percentage and .857 slugging percentage in the Mississippi State series.
- Over the last 15 games, junior Jenna Holcomb leads UT with a .378 average (17-for-45), four doubles and two triples. During those 15 games, the Lady Vols’ three triples and six doubles have come slap hitters.
- Aubrey Leach is eight runs shy of breaking Tennessee’s career record of 244 runs scored. She currently has 237 runs scored through 220 games. She also sits in third place in career walks with 151, just three walks shy of the program record (154).
- The Bucs have fallen in seven consecutive games and dropped eight of their last nine contests. Most recently, ETSU was swept in a three-game series at Samford to move to 17-19-2 on the season.
- Nikki Grupp continues to lead ETSU at the plate as the junior has only struck out six times in 115 at-bats. She’s hitting .339 with 10 home runs and 39 RBIs through 38 starts.
- Kelly Schmidt paces the team in the circle with a 3.82 ERA and 7-8 record. Schmidt has struck out a career-high 80 batters so far this season which ranks third in the SoCon. Taylor Boling also owns seven wins on the year.
All-Time Record vs. ETSU: 18-0
- In Knoxville: UT leads, 17-0
- In Johnson City: UT leads, 1-0 (4/14/15)
- Neutral Sites: N/A
- Last Meeting: UT won, 11-3, in Knoxville (4/17/18)
Following Tuesday’s game, Tennessee hits the road to face Georgia in Athens, Ga., for a Friday-Sunday series on April 19-21.