KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee continues its nine-game homestand with a Tuesday-night tilt against in-state foe Lipscomb at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
The Volunteers are coming off a 7-5 loss to No. 5 Mississippi State in the rubber game on the weekend series. UT dropped the opener, 6-3, in extra innings before evening the series with a 2-1 victory on Saturday night, marking the second win for the Big Orange against a top-five team this season.
Fans can stream Tuesday’s game live on SEC Network+ and the WatchESPN app as Bob Kesling(PxP) and Rusty Ensor (Color) will call the action. John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara will also call the game for the Vol Network (AM 990) as well as UTSports.com and the UT Gameday App.
Projected Starting Pitchers
UT: RHP Elijah Pleasants (8 App, 0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Lipscomb: LHP Palmer Steventon (3 App, 0-0, 3.00 ERA)
Series History vs. Lipscomb
Overall: Tennessee leads, 10-1
In Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 7-0
In Nashville: Tennessee leads, 2-1
Neutral Sites: Tennessee leads, 1-0
Last Meeting: Feb. 20, 2018 in Knoxville (W, 8-5)
The Vols have outscored the Bisons by a 21-8 margin in the past three meetings between the two teams. Zach Daniels hit a grand slam as UT scored six runs in the third inning to power past Lipscomb in last year’s 8-5 win.
Need to Know
- Tennessee earned his second win over a top-five team in the span of a week on Saturday with a 2-1 victory over No. 5 Mississippi State.
- Junior pitcher Zach Linginfelter was outstanding in the win, allowing just one run on five hits in 6.2 innings of work to earn his fifth victory of the season.
- Redshirt sophomore reliever Redmond Walsh was unhittable out of the bullpen, striking out three batters in 2.1 shutout innings to slam the door and pick up his team-leading fourth save of the year.
- Andre Lipcius and Alerick Soularie both had four-hit games over the weekend. Lipcius went 4-for-5 in the series opener, tying a career high in hits, while Soularie was a perfect 4-for-4 in Sunday’s series finale to set a new career high in base knocks.
- Soularie has been sensational in his debut season for the Orange and White. The sophomore leads the SEC in slugging percentage (.674) and on-base percentage (.504) and is fourth in the league with a team-best .391 batting average. The Houston native has reached base in 25 consecutive games and has recorded at least one hit in 17 of his last 20 games played.
- The Vols have been close to unbeatable in midweek games this season, entering Tuesday’s contest with an 8-1 record on the year. UT has outscored its opponents by a 69-19 margin in midweek contests this season.
- Tennessee has scored in the first inning in eight of its last nine games. In total, the Vols have scored in the first inning 15 times this season.
- True freshman right hander Elijah Pleasants is slated to make his first-career start on Tuesday night. The Clarksville, Tenn., native has allowed just one hit and no runs in 8.1 innings pitched this season.
Lipscomb Bisons (15-15, 3-6 Atlantic Sun)
- 2018 Record: 24-30 (9-12 A-SUN)
- 2018 Postseason: N/A
- Lipscomb was picked to finish seventh in the Atlantic Sun Preseason Poll.
- The Bisons are led by longtime head coach Jeff Forehand, who is in his 13th season as skipper at Lipscomb and has led the program to a pair of conference titles and NCAA tournament appearances.
- Lipscomb has five players batting .313 or better, led by Maddux Houghton’s .371 average. Houghton also leads the team with 39 hits and ranks second on the team with 25 RBI.
- Cade Sorrells provides another dangerous bat, leading the team with three home runs and 33 RBIs.
- Sophomore left-hander Palmer Steventon is projected to make his first start of the year on Tuesday. He is 0-0 with a 3.00 ERA this season.
- The Bisons had won four straight games before being swept on the road at FGCU this past weekend.
Upcoming promotions for all Tennessee athletics home events can be found on the UT Fan Experience page by clicking HERE.
ALL GAMES THIS SEASON
- Kids Combo: Corn dog, chips and a drink for just $6!
- Trivia Tuesday (Sponsored by Moe’s): Play trivia throughout the game with a chance to win prizes. This week’s theme is The Bachelor!
- $2 Tuesday: All general admission tickets are only $2 and fans can purchase smoothies for just $2 through the fourth inning.
- Anderson County & Clinton City Schools Night: Receive free admission to the game with the donation of two school supply items.
- The Colton Underwood Legacy Foundation (See Below)
Colton Underwood, the founder of the Colton Underwood Legacy Foundation and star of the most recent season of ABC’s hit television show “The Bachelor”, will be on hand to present an Afflovest to Molly Claire Stephens, an active 11-year-old living with cystic fibrosis from Summertown, Tenn.
The Colton Underwood Legacy Foundation is a non-profit organization that was created by Underwood, a star collegiate athlete and former NFL player, to empower people with cystic fibrosis to live fully, dream big and support each other. The Foundation provides equipment, resources and inspiration for people of all ages living with cystic fibrosis.
As a part of the evening’s festivities, Tennessee Baseball fans will have the rare opportunity to enter for a chance to meet Colton at the game. Fans can enter their name at the Tennessee Fan Experience Tent on the main concourse for a chance to win. Fans who display a confirmation of donation to The Legacy Foundation at the game, will receive a second entry into the meet and greet raffle (must be present to win).
On Deck for the Vols
The Vols welcome yet another top-five opponent to Lindsey Nelson Stadium this week as No. 2 Georgia comes to town for a three-game series. The series against the Bulldogs will begin on Thursday at 7 p.m. and run through Saturday. Get your tickets now at AllVols.com!