KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – No. 21 Tennessee welcomes UNC Asheville to Rocky Top for a pair of midweek games this week at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
The Volunteers are coming off another weekend series win, taking the first two games against Fresno State before dropping their first game of the year in Sunday’s finale.
UT’s two midweek games against the Bulldogs will be the team’s final tune up before starting Southeastern Conference play this weekend with a trip to the Plains to take on No. 15 Auburn.
Both games against UNCA will be streamed online via SEC Network+ and the WatchESPN app. John Wilkerson (PxP) and Rusty Ensor (Analyst) will have the call for both contests.
Fans can also listen to a live audio stream of both games on UTSports.com and the UT Gameday App. Vince Ferrara will have the call for Tuesday’s game and Eric Cain will call the action on Wednesday.
Projected Starting Pitchers
Tuesday: RHP Sean Hunley (3-0, 1.12 ERA) vs. LHP Jacob Edwards (2-0, 1.35 ERA)
Wednesday: TBD vs. RHP Danny Wilson (0-1, 10.12 ERA)
Series History vs. UNC Asheville
Overall: Tennessee leads, 26-7
In Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 22-7
In Asheville: Tennessee leads, 4-0
Neutral Sites: N/A
Last Meeting: April 19, 2017 in Knoxville (W, 5-2)
The Vols and Bulldogs have played at least once in four of the past five seasons. Tennessee has won the last four meetings between the two teams by a combined score of 27-8.
Need to Know
- Tennessee earned another series win last weekend, taking two of three games from Fresno State. The Bulldogs did take the series finale to snap the Vols’ 15-game winning streak to start the season. The streak was the longest to begin a season in program history and was tied for the second-longest overall winning streak as well (1951, 1994, 1997, 2004).
- The Big Orange are a perfect 4-0 in midweek games this season, outscoring their opponents 38-4. Under head coach Tony Vitello, the Vols are an impressive 14-4 overall in midweek contests.
- UT is coming off of its best week of the season offensively. The Big Orange batted .320 as a team and scored 29 runs (9.75 runs/game) while also hitting six home runs and 16 extra-base hits over their four games last week.
- Junior college transfer Alerick Soularie continued his emergence for the Vols with a .462 average, six runs, three homers and six RBI last week. The sophomore hit three homers in UT’s series win over Fresno State with two in Saturday’s 13-9 victory.
- Veteran third baseman Andre Lipcius hit his second grand slam of the season in Saturday’s win and led the team with 10 RBI for the week. He also hit a home run in Sunday’s loss to the Bulldogs and is tied with Soularie for the team lead with four. He is the first UT player to hit two grand slams in a season since Blake Forsythe in 2010.
- Junior outfielder Justin Ammons had another solid week at the plate as well, batting .375 while leading the team with seven runs scored. The Memphis native has reached base in all 16 games this season and 25 consecutive games dating back to last year.
- Saturday starter Zach Linginfelter was lights out once again in his lone appearance last week. The junior right hander tossed six shutout innings in UT’s Game Two win over Fresno State, allowing just three hits and one walk while striking out four. Linginfelter is now 4-0 on the year and leads all starting pitchers on the team with a 0.75 ERA.
- Sophomore lefty Garrett Crochet struck out five in 1.2 innings of relief to earn his third save of the year in Tennessee’s series-clinching win over the Bulldogs. The Ocean Springs, Miss., native has given up just one run and five hits while striking out 24 in 12.1 innings of work this season.
UNC Asheville Bulldogs (5-9)
- 2018 Record: 13-38 (8-19 Big South)
- 2018 Postseason: N/A
- UNC Asheville was picked to finish 10th in the 2019 Big South Preseason Poll after tying for ninth in the league last season.
- The Bulldogs are coached by Scott Friedholm, who is in his fifth season leading the program.
- UNCA returns seven position starters and four starting pitchers from last year’s team.
- Senior utility man Danny Wilson leads the team with 19 hits and is batting .396. He will also start Wednesday’s game on the mound for the Bulldogs.
- Junior infielder Brandon Lankford leads the team with six home runs and 13 RBI.
- LHP Jack Edwards is projected to make his first start of the season on Tuesday. He is 2-0 with a 1.35 ERA in five relief appearances this year.
Upcoming promotions for all Tennessee athletics home events can be found on the UT Fan Experience page by clicking HERE.
ALL GAMES THIS SEASON
- Kids Combo: Corn dog, chips and a drink for just $6!
- Trivia Tuesday (Sponsored by Moe’s): Play trivia throughout the game with a chance to win prizes.
- $2 Tuesday: All general admission tickets are only $2 and fans can purchase chicken tenders for just $2 through the fourth inning.
- Weekday Work Perk: All general admission tickets are only $2.
- WINGSday for Students: First 100 students get free wings!
On Deck for the Vols
Tennessee hits the road to open SEC play this weekend when they travel to take on No. 14 Auburn. Game One of the weekend series is slated to start at 7 p.m. ET on Friday night.
Gameday/Stadium Policies & Information
Clear Bag Policy
In an effort to enhance safety and expedite fan entry at Tennessee athletic events, UT has implemented a clear bag policy at Lindsey Nelson Stadium and all other athletic facilities. Only one clear bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches (gallon size) per person is permitted. Fans are also allowed a small clutch purse not exceeding 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches. Gates will open until 90 minutes prior to game time.
Baseball parking is located in Lots G16, GF2, GF3, GF4, and C22. (Thompson-Boling Arena and Neyland Stadium events have priority if on same days as baseball games.)
Additional parking is located on the street along Todd Helton Drive. Parking for MVP ticket holders is located in Lot GF1 and handicap parking is located in marked handicap spaces on Pat Head Summitt Drive and G16 Garage.